Wednesday, July 6, 2016

18th Century Elegance

Isn't she just a darling? I love every moment of embroidering, stuffing, designing and embellishing her. 

She's not a doll, she's so much more - a costume replica, perhaps?

1) Stays - I made stays from an authentic 1780s pattern, out of felt and unboned though. The shape looks good laced on the doll
2) Hair - I actually made a hairpiece that goes on top of her head so that it can be done up 18th century style or left down
3) Petticoats are not just a panel, but actual 18th skirt that ties in the back and front seperately
4) Stomacher is a stomach, again not a sewn-in panel. I started to embroider it, but the dress
5) Dress is laced as it should be - in front and not behind!
6) The petticoats are pleated, and the overskirt/gown is cartridge pleated.
7) I had waaaaay too much time on my hands after the cello exam!  

She also stands up on her on two feet, if balanced properly, and is absolutely elegant.

I oogled at American Girl dolls when I was a kid, but now I get to make and live the dream *sigh of contentment*

No comments:

Post a Comment